College of Education and Health Professions

Student Programs & Resources

Orientation Assistants:    Advising_Assistant_Job_Description_2015.pdf

Academic Standing:

Conditions for Good Standing, Warning, Suspension, and Dismissal


Academic appeals: Students are first encouraged to resolve academic conflicts and complaints informally with the instructor involved, through their department, or through the assistance of the University Ombuds Office, which can provide objective and confidential mediation. To assist students in identifying the appropriate contact person, please view this List of Program, Department, and College Contacts. A flow chart is also available for viewing. If an informal resolution cannot be reached, there are procedures for students to pursue with complaints of an academic nature. Refer to either the Undergraduate Catalog of Studies ( or the  Graduate Catalog of Studies ( for appeals structures and formal procedures for academic grievances. 

Financial aid appeals: The form may be picked up at the Financial Aid Office or online at The student should complete the appeal form, attach supporting documentation/letters, and take the completed form and all supporting documentation to his/her faculty advisor or undergraduate advisor in the student's department. The advisor is the person designated by the College of Education and Health Professions to write the recommendation for the college.

Petition to the Committee on Academic Standards: This form is available at the Registrar's Office or online at This committee is charged with recommending policies concerning grading, examinations, academic probation and exclusion and related matters; reviewing the effectiveness and enforcement of these policies; and adjudicating petitions for readmission and variance to academic policies. Normal types of appeals to the committee would be for exception to academic policies, such as early readmission from suspension or dismissal, late selective drops, withdrawal after the deadline, waiver of the residency requirement (to take more than 12 hours by transfer or 6 hours by correspondence in the student's last 30 hours). An advisor's recommendation is not required on this form but may be part of the supporting documentation. Submit the petition and all supporting documents to the Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for review and and signature. It will then be forwarded to the Academic Standards Committee.

Overload petitions: Students who wish to take more than 18 hours but less than 22 hours in a regular semester; or more than 7 hours during a five- or six-week summer session; or more than 13 hours during a 10- or 12-week summer session must complete an Overload Petition and turn it into the Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (GRAD 317) for review and increase in hours if approved. The Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs may also approve 13 hours for a student who is on academic warning. Students should list all the classes they wish to take for the semester on the overload petition. Students wishing to exceed 21 hours in a regular semester, more than 9 hours during a summer session, or more than 14 hours in one 10- or 12-week session will need to fill out the overload petition and submit it to the Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for review and signature. This office will then forward it on to the Academic Standards Committee for their consideration. The Overload Petition is found at

GPA Calculator

Tips for Success